Form Feed

A printing term. In the earlier days of printing, it was common to use 'fanfold' paper that was pulled through the printer by cogs pegging into holes running along each edge of the paper.

A 'form feed' would move the paper a set amount, usually the distance from one perforation line in the fanfold to the next one so the document could be torn off neatly.

Now form feed usually means to push one piece of A4 through the printer.

A 'Form feed' is such a common requirement that it is a standard command in the ASCII character set, along with 'Carriage Return' and 'Line Feed'.

Challenge see if you can find out one extra fact on this topic that we haven't already told you

Click on this link: Form Feed


back to glossaryback to glossary