A 'utility' application has a specific job to do regarding the computer's operation and performance.
Utility applications include:-
- Security - Encryption software, Firewall, Anti-virus, Anti-malware. Read more about security utilities in the network security section.
- Performance - Hard disk defragmentation, task manager monitor
- Improve storage efficiency - data compression applications
- Backup - system backup and file backup utilities
- System information and diagnosis - ensuring that the rest of the computer continues to work as well as possible.
Many utilities come ready-loaded with the operating system in order allow the system to be optimised. Others can be purchased or are sometimes available for free as open source software.
This section will cover these topics.